Wednesday, May 23, 2012





Pam sits at the kitchen table, surrounded by the crumpled up pages of mess-ups and trial and errors. Pam begins to talk to herself and pace back and forth.
PAM: Why can’t I concentrate anymore? I have the worst ideas on this paper. I don’t know why I have the worst writers block over a stupid and small assignment.
[Pause]
 Pam looks over the sheet and shakes her head in disgust and throws the book on the table.
  PAM: I thought I had something good, but when I read over it after I thought I was done, it didn’t make any sense.
She sits there looking over with her pen in hand. She glances at the clock on the wall and shrieks.
PAM: I have to run to work, I’m going to be late. But I can’t because my paper is due tomorrow and I can’t afford to mess up this class. I have so much on my mind and some much to do but not enough time.
While talking she gathers her bag with all her school supplies and heads to work. After a few hours she walks back in throws her things on the floor. Sitting at the table gets a few sheets out and sits silently.
{pause}
PAM: I GIVE UP! I CANT DO SCHOOL, CANT DO WORK, I'M NOT GOING TO DO ANYTHING ELSE!
(flickering the lights for a few seconds)
EVAN: Don’t ever give up Pam. It’s hard for a writer to start working. Many of the great writers go months, even years of facing writers block.
Pam gasps. Stutters back a few paces and widens her eyes.
PAM: SUPER TUTOR.. You’re really real.
EVAN: Yes. And don’t get so frustrated. Tell me. What’s your assignment and what do  you have already?
PAM: Why was Martin Luther King's "I have a dream" speech so vital to American society?
EVAN: Well that’s not so bad. What’s the problem?
PAM: Well I don’t know where to begin, either giving information or telling you my own opinion. Regardless I can’t figure out what I should talk about in the paper.
EVAN: First off, take out your paper and your assignment and lets talk about your own opinions about him and what he did, then we can throw in some key points and facts to get you started. Go back and re-read what you have so far. Doing that helps you keep all the ideas fresh for you to move to the next sentence. Don’t be afraid to break your old habits such as getting frustrated or wanting to give up. Approach the problem by understanding the problem.
[Pause.. Both nodding and smiling].
PAM: Wow. That’s awesome. You helped me get focused on what I should do on my paper. I really needed someone to help get pushed in the right direction. You really helped me with questions that “prompted” me to really understand what my assignment was asking for. You helped me to develop thoughts and themes that I will be able to use to tie my paper together. You helped me with identifying points, organization and structure.
EVAN: Now would you say that you would give up and throw all your potential away?
PAM: No. Not anymore, because of you and your help, having you here and just being able to talk about my paper helped me move forth and understand how a paper should be written. You made me not dread those words, “Your paper is due”.
EVAN: From our collaborative work, we helped you reach your goals to get started on your paper, and we both learned some very interesting facts. But I’m not going to always be here. I hope you can take what I showed you today and use it in the future and don’t forget. Whenever you’re stuck you have WONDER-TUTORS at your service in the writing center of your school.

CAUSE THERE IS ONLY ONE, SUPER TUTOR!

No comments:

Post a Comment